18.8.602 SPEED AND BRIDGE CROSSING CONDITIONS IMPOSED FOR EXCESSIVE OVERWEIGHT VEHICLES
(1) The department may restrict speed and impose additional requirements as a condition of the special permit in cases of extreme overweight.
(2) On interstate or noninterstate highways, loads may not exceed a maximum speed of 55 mph or the posted speed limit, whichever is less. Only one overweight vehicle is allowed on a bridge at a time. Stopping or shifting gears on any bridge is prohibited. Additionally, one or more of the following conditions may apply when listed as a restriction on the special permit:
(a) vehicle must reduce speed to a maximum of 10 miles per hour before and while crossing the bridge, remain in driving lane, maintain at least two feet from the shoulder, and provide a minimum of one rear flag vehicle, while other non-overweight traffic may travel simultaneously in all lanes; or
(b) vehicle must reduce speed to a maximum of 10 miles per hour before and while crossing the bridge, center vehicle over roadway centerline, and provide a minimum of two pilot vehicles, while all other traffic is prohibited on the bridge. The two required pilot vehicles must adhere to the following conditions when pilot vehicles are part of the conditions on the permit:
(i) interstate highway travel requires a minimum of two rear pilot vehicles; or
(ii) noninterstate highway travel requires a minimum of one front and one rear pilot vehicle.
(c) additional restrictions may be imposed on a case-by-case basis depending on specific bridge conditions and complexity of the movement.
(3) A reasonable accommodation route variance will be allowed for vehicles to deviate from permitted interstate routes within a two mile radius of an interstate interchange for accessing of services, without a requirement for additional pilot or escort vehicles. Any bridge crossing on the accommodation route must be approved through department bridge review or in compliance with applicable noninterstate bridge crossing requirements.
(4) All traffic control required by a special permit condition must comply with ARM 18.8.510A and the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
(5) Violation of any permit restrictions on bridge crossings, axle weights, or axle spacing may prohibit future permit issuance and operation.
History: 61-10-155, MCA; IMP, 61-10-121, 61-10-122, 61-10-124, 61-10-125, 61-10-141, MCA; NEW, 1988 MAR p. 1704, Eff. 7/29/88; AMD, 1990 MAR p. 591, Eff. 3/30/90; AMD, 1996 MAR p. 2980, Eff. 7/19/96; AMD, 2000 MAR p. 1075, Eff. 4/28/00; AMD, 2012 MAR p. 1350, Eff. 7/13/12; AMD, 2016 MAR p. 312, Eff. 2/20/16.