24.114.2105 ARCHITECT CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
(1) Active licensed architects shall obtain 12 hours of HSW continuing education (CE) every calendar year by December 31.
(a) Licensees who have been granted emeritus status are exempt from the CE requirements.
(b) Continuing education is not required for licensees renewing their licenses for the first time.
(2) Licensees will be required to affirm their understanding of the basic requirement of 12 hours of continuing education completed during the calendar year immediately preceding the annual renewal.
(3) Qualified CE courses must be formal group or self-study courses designed to increase or update the knowledge and professional competence of architects in technical and professional subjects related to the practice of architecture that safeguard the public's health, safety, and welfare, as follows:
(a) acquired in structured educational activities;
(b) provided by individuals or organizations approved by the American Institute of Architects Continuing Education System, Landscape Architect Continuing Education System, or Interior Design Continuing Education Council; and
(c) at least 75 percent of the course content and instruction time must be devoted to health, safety, and welfare subjects such as technical and professional subjects necessary for proper evaluation, design, construction, and utilization of buildings and the built environment that are within the following enumerated areas:
(i) Building Systems: structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, communications, security, fire protection;
(ii) Construction Contract Administration: contracts, bidding, contract negotiations;
(iii) Construction Documents: drawings, specifications, delivery methods;
(iv) Design: urban planning, master planning, building design, site design, interiors, safety and security measures;
(v) Environmental: energy efficiency, sustainability, natural resources, natural hazards, hazardous materials, weatherproofing, insulation;
(vi) Legal: laws, codes, zoning, subdivisions, regulations, standards, life safety, accessibility, ethics, insurance to protect owners and public;
(vii) Materials and Methods: construction systems, products, finishes, furnishings, equipment;
(viii) Occupant Comfort: air quality, lighting, acoustics, ergonomics;
(ix) Pre-Design: land use analysis, programming, site selection, site and soils analysis, surveying; and
(x) Preservation: historic, reuse, adaptation.
(4) The department will not pre-approve CE courses.
(5) All licensees shall retain course completion certificates or AIA CE transcripts for a minimum of two years, for auditing purposes. Course completion certificates must contain all of the following:
(a) date of course;
(b) location of course;
(c) name of instructor(s);
(d) name of licensee;
(e) approval organization's course approval number; and
(f) number of completed hours of instruction.
(6) Audited licensees must furnish to the department certificates of completion or AIA CE transcripts to verify completion of the 12-hour CE requirement.
History: 37-1-131, 37-1-319, MCA; IMP, 37-1-131, 37-1-141, 37-1-306, MCA; NEW, 2014 MAR p. 2013, Eff. 9/5/14; AMD, 2017 MAR p. 2076, Eff. 11/10/17.