24.138.504 APPROVED CLINICAL EXAM CRITERIA FOR DENTISTS AND DENTAL HYGIENISTS
(1) Starting January 1, 2020, for the purposes of licensure, a dentist applicant shall verify successful passage of a board-approved clinical practical exam to include the following components:
(a) patient-based operative exam, to include one direct posterior class II composite and any one of the following:
(i) direct posterior class II composite; or
(ii) direct posterior class II amalgam; or
(iii) direct anterior class III composite;
(b) patient-based periodontal exam;
(c) non-patient-based endodontics exam, to include:
(i) anterior access;
(ii) posterior access; and
(iii) obturation of one canal;
(d) comprehensive treatment planning computer-based exam that is scored by calibrated examiners; and
(e) non-patient-based prosthodontics exam.
(2) Dental students who graduate in the year 2020 shall be allowed to substitute the Western Regional Examining Board's manikin-based operative exam in lieu of the patient-based examinations required in (1)(a) and (1)(b). All remaining non-patient-based requirements shall remain in effect. The exception outlined in this section shall expire on December 31, 2020.
(3) Starting January 1, 2020, for the purposes of licensure, a dental hygienist applicant shall verify successful passage of a board-approved patient-based clinical practical exam to include the following:
(a) clinical competency and patient competency with the following components:
(i) pocket depth;
(iii) calculus detection and removal; and
(iv) intraoral and extraoral assessment.
(4) For the purpose of a local anesthetic permit a dental hygienist applicant shall verify successful passage of a board-approved written and patient-based clinical practical exam to include:
(a) the Western Regional Examining Board (WREB) or board-approved local anesthetic exam.
(5) The board may review applications from applicants who have taken a clinical practical examination that does not meet the above criteria as nonroutine for licensure.
(6) This rule shall not apply to dentist or dental hygienist applicants applying by credentialing.
History: 37-1-131, 37-4-205, 37-4-402, MCA; IMP, 37-1-131, 37-4-301, 37-4-402, MCA; NEW, 2019 MAR p. 2366, Eff. 12/28/19; AMD, 2020 MAR p. 1631, Eff. 8/29/20.