24.138.504 APPROVED CLINICAL EXAM CRITERIA FOR DENTISTS AND DENTAL HYGIENISTS
(1) Starting January 1, 2020, for the purposes of licensure, a dentist applicant shall verify successful passage of a board-approved clinical practical exam to include the following components:
(a) patient-based operative exam, to include one direct posterior class II composite and any one of the following:
(i) direct posterior class II composite; or
(ii) direct posterior class II amalgam; or
(iii) direct anterior class III composite;
(b) patient-based periodontal exam;
(c) non-patient-based endodontics exam, to include:
(i) anterior access;
(ii) posterior access; and
(iii) obturation of one canal;
(d) comprehensive treatment planning computer-based exam that is scored by calibrated examiners; and
(e) non-patient-based prosthodontics exam.
(2) Dental students who graduate during the state of emergency declared in the Governor of Montana's Executive Order 2-2020 shall be allowed to substitute a board-approved manikin-based operative exam in lieu of the patient-based examinations required in (1)(a) and (1)(b). All remaining non-patient-based requirements shall remain in effect. The exception outlined in this section shall expire 90 days after the Governor of the State of Montana ends the state of emergency declared in Executive Order 2-2020.
(3) Starting January 1, 2020, for the purposes of licensure, a dental hygienist applicant shall verify successful passage of a board-approved patient-based clinical practical exam to include the following:
(a) clinical competency and patient competency with the following components:
(i) pocket depth;
(iii) calculus detection and removal; and
(iv) intraoral and extraoral assessment.
(4) For the purpose of a local anesthetic permit a dental hygienist applicant shall verify successful passage of a board-approved written and patient-based clinical practical exam to include:
(a) the Western Regional Examining Board (WREB) or board-approved local anesthetic exam.
(5) The board may review applications from applicants who have taken a clinical practical examination that does not meet the above criteria as nonroutine for licensure.
(6) This rule shall not apply to dentist or dental hygienist applicants applying by credentialing.
History: 37-1-131, 37-4-205, 37-4-402, MCA; IMP, 37-1-131, 37-4-301, 37-4-402, MCA; NEW, 2019 MAR p. 2366, Eff. 12/28/19; AMD, 2020 MAR p. 1631, Eff. 8/29/20; AMD, 2021 MAR p. 121, Eff. 1/30/21.