24.155.801 CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
(1) The board will not preapprove continuing education programs or sponsors. Qualifying criteria for continuing education are specified in these rules. It is the responsibility of the licensee to select quality programs that contribute to his/her knowledge and competence which also meet these qualifications.
(2) A continuing education activity must meet the following criteria:
(a) The activity must have significant intellectual or practical content. The activity must deal with direct application of massage therapy knowledge, skills, business practices, or ethical standards. In addition, the board may accept continuing education activities from other professional groups or academic disciplines if the massage therapist demonstrates that the activity is substantially related to his or her role as a massage therapist.
(b) The activity itself must be conducted by an individual or group qualified by practical or academic experience.
(c) Continuing education credit earned by courses, seminars, or workshops must be supportable through a certificate of completion containing the following information:
(i) full name and credentials of the presenter, including provider number, if applicable;
(ii) title of the presentation attended;
(iii) number of hours and date of each presentation attended;
(iv) description of the presentation format; and
(v) name of licensee.
(d) It is the responsibility of the licensee to establish and maintain detailed records of continuing education compliance for a period of three years, following submission of a continuing education report.
(3) In general, one continuing education credit will be granted for each hour of participation in the continuing education activity. Credit will not be awarded for activities lasting less than one hour.
(4) A licensed massage therapist must earn at least 12 continuing education credits every two consecutive years by the licensee renewal date on even numbered years beginning in 2012.
(a) No continuing education is required for licensees licensed less than one full year on their first continuing education reporting date. Licensees licensed at least one year but less than two full years on the first continuing education reporting date shall submit six hours of continuing education.
(b) Active licensees will be required to affirm their understanding of the basic requirement upon annual renewal.
(c) Certificates of completion or program documentation for continuing education credits reported must be submitted upon request of the board.
(5) Acceptable continuing education courses include but are not limited to the following:
(a) courses, seminars, or workshops taken in person, by correspondence, or online or by other electronic means;
(b) teaching a course, with one continuing education credit allowed for each hour of preparation time for each credit hour offered, and one credit of continuing education allowed for each hour of presentation time for each credit hour offered, all credit being subject to proper documentation. Documentation for this activity includes:
(i) course name;
(ii) teaching format (in person, webinar, correspondence, online, etc.);
(iii) number of hours in the course;
(iv) a statement that demonstrates the activity is substantially related to your role as a massage therapist;
(v) number of hours preparing the course not to exceed the number of course hours;
(vi) the date and location of the course taught; and
(vii) the course outline;
(c) published articles or books applicable to the practice of massage authored by the licensee with the hours awarded as determined at the discretion of the board. Documentation for this activity includes:
(i) a copy of the publication;
(ii) the source of publication;
(iii) the date of publication; and
(iv) number of credit hours requested;
(d) books, audio, or other media with the hours to be awarded as determined at the discretion of the board. Trade magazines and journals do not qualify for credit. Documentation for this activity includes:
(i) the title of the presentation;
(ii) the author of the presentation;
(iii) the number of pages in the book or number of hours' duration of the media;
(iv) a summary of what was learned from the presentation;
(v) notes regarding how this material applies to your massage therapy practice;
(vi) dates when the activity occurred; and
(vii) number of credit hours requested;
(e) cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) with certificate;
(f) two hours per renewal cycle will be allowed for voluntarily attending the Montana Board of Massage Therapy meetings. Each licensee will be required to identify themselves at the board meeting and must be physically present or in person for at least two hours.
(6) Notices will be considered properly mailed when addressed to the last known address on file in the board office. No continuing education programs used to complete the previous reporting period may be used to meet the continuing education requirements for the next continuing education reporting period.
(7) If a licensee is unable to acquire sufficient continuing education credits to meet the requirements, he or she may request an exemption. All requests for exemptions will be considered by the board and evaluated on an individual basis.
History: 37-1-131, 37-1-319, 37-33-405, MCA; IMP, 37-1-306, 37-33-405, MCA; NEW, 2010 MAR p. 2382, Eff. 10/15/10; AMD, 2018 MAR p. 1038, Eff. 5/26/18.