24.156.2732 MEDICAL DIRECTION
(1) Within 60 days of taking on the responsibilities as an ECP medical director, a physician or physician assistant shall:
(a) notify the board they are providing medical direction to ECPs on a form provided by the board; and
(b) provide proof of completion of a board-specified medical director training program or a board-approved exemption from the training on a form provided by the board.
(2) A physician or physician assistant who functions as a medical director and fails to comply with the requirements of (1) may not function as a medical director.
(3) The medical director shall be responsible for the overall medical care provided by the ECPs for whom the director agrees to provide medical oversight.
(4) The medical director must assure and have access to records of all ECPs for whom the director provides medical oversight. These records must include, but are not limited to:
(a) the name, address, and current Montana licensure of the ECP, including any endorsements;
(b) date when medical oversight began and at what level the ECP is authorized to function; and
(c) any changes to limit or approve the ECP's ability to function at the ECP's current licensure level.
(5) The medical director must develop a process to assure continued appropriate patient care. This process may include regular review of patient care reports (PCR), direct observation of care, skills demonstrations, and ongoing involvement in ECP education. Documentation of these activities must be maintained.
(6) A medical director may assign duties where appropriate, but retains the responsibility for all assigned duties.
(a) The medical director may delegate local offline medical direction responsibilities to another unrestricted Montana licensed physician or physician assistant.
(7) The medical director will approve and review the offering of online medical control.
(a) Online medical control must be provided by any unrestricted Montana licensed physician or physician assistant who has been contacted for this purpose.
(8) The medical director may cease medical oversight by providing written notice to the ECP and the board.
(9) The board or their designee may conduct onsite visits with medical directors for technical assistance and/or to assure compliance.
History: 37-3-203, 50-6-203, MCA; IMP, 50-6-203, MCA; NEW, 2009 MAR p. 416, Eff. 4/17/09; AMD, 2013 MAR p. 120, Eff. 2/1/13.