24.219.501 LCSW APPLICATION PROCEDURES
(1) Any person seeking licensure as a clinical social worker must apply on the board's official forms which may be obtained through the department. All requirements with documentation must be met at the time of application. Incomplete applications will not be considered by the board.
(2) The 3000 hours of experience required by 37-22-301(2), MCA, shall have been completed in their entirety at the time of submission of the application.
(3) Completed applications must be accompanied by:
(a) application fee;
(b) verification of the applicant's doctorate or masters degree in social work provided directly from the school to the board office; and
(c) three reference letters as required by 37-22-301(2), MCA, including one from the applicant's supervisor, which shall include:
(i) inclusive dates and total hours of supervision in increments no less than 15 minutes;
(ii) names of applicant and supervisor (include type of license and number) and signature of both;
(iii) content summary (excluding confidential information);
(iv) recommendation to approve for licensure or not;
(v) number of supervised hours satisfactorily completed; and
(vi) supervisor must attest to the above under penalty of law. Falsification or misrepresentation of any of the above may be considered misrepresentations and a violation of professional ethics, which may result in discipline of the supervisor's license.
(4) The applicant shall be notified in writing of the results of the evaluation of the application for examination.
(5) The license will be effective as of the date all requirements, including payment of the original license fee, are met. An applicant shall not work as a licensed social worker until the effective date of the license.
(6) Applicants shall be allowed a maximum of three attempts to successfully pass the examination.
(7) After the third attempt, if the applicant has not achieved a passing score, the applicant must request in writing to the board to retake the examination. The board may require the applicant to complete a preapproved remediation plan prior to additional exam administrations.
(8) If the applicant fails to satisfy the requirements for licensure within one year of the date the application is determined by the department to be complete, the application will expire, the application fee will be forfeited, and a new completed application and application fee will be required.
(9) If an applicant has previously held a license to practice as a social worker in this state, and the previous license was terminated as a result of the applicant's failure to renew the license, the applicant shall complete ten hours of board-approved continuing education credits for each year that the applicant's license was terminated. The applicant shall submit proof of completion of these hours at the time of application.
(10) The Association of Social Work Boards' (ASWB) generalist examination is not an approved examination for the purpose of obtaining licensure as a clinical social worker.
(11) All applicants must submit the fingerprint and background check required by the board.
History: 37-1-131, 37-1-319, 37-22-201, MCA; IMP, 37-1-131, 37-1-306, 37-22-301, MCA; NEW, 1984 MAR p. 440, Eff. 3/16/84; AMD, 1988 MAR p. 169, Eff. 1/29/88; AMD, 1994 MAR p. 26, Eff. 12/24/93; AMD, 1997 MAR p. 986, Eff. 6/3/97; TRANS, from Commerce, 2004 MAR p. 1477; AMD, 2009 MAR p. 2158, Eff. 11/13/09; AMD, 2011 MAR p. 2038, Eff. 9/23/11; AMD, 2014 MAR p. 2471, Eff. 10/10/14; AMD, 2016 MAR p. 221, Eff. 2/6/16.