24.222.2102 CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
(1) Each licensee shall affirm completion of the required continuing education before February 1 of each odd-numbered year, on the renewal form. The board will randomly audit 10 percent of the renewed licensees' continuing education submitted each odd-numbered year. Certificates of completion for continuing education credits reported must be submitted upon request of the board.
(2) Continuing education units are required as follows:
(a) Speech-language pathology or audiology - 40 continuing education units (CEU).
(b) Dual licensure - 50 continuing education units, 25 in each area.
(c) New licensees' continuing education units will be prorated at 1.66 hours per month licensed.
(3) Credit will be granted only for educational activities undertaken during the two-year period for which continuing education is to be submitted.
(4) Licensees who serve as instructors in approved programs or academic courses may be allowed appropriate credit for one-time presentation. No credit will be allowed for repeat sessions.
(5) A licensee may apply for an exemption from the continuing education requirements by filing a statement with the board setting forth good faith reasons why the licensee is unable to comply with these rules and an exemption may be granted by the board. Each exemption application will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
(6) Speech-language pathology aides or assistants I shall complete 20 units of approved continuing education annually and submit verification of the continuing education to the board by affirmation of the licensed supervisor on the supervisor's renewal form by February 1 annually. Fourteen continuing education units may include on-the-job training as part of the supervision plan, and college coursework obtained through an accredited college or university.
(7) Speech-language pathology aides or assistants II and III shall submit verification of ten continuing education hours by affirmation of the licensed supervisor on the supervisor's renewal form by February 1 annually.
(8) Audiology aides and audiology industrial aides or assistants shall complete ten units of approved continuing education annually and submit verification of the continuing education to the board by affirmation of the licensed supervisor on the supervisor's renewal form by February 1 annually.
(9) Approved continuing education must include content that is relevant to the scope of practice of speech-language pathologists and audiologists as defined in ARM 24.222.520 and 24.222.525.
(10) Continuing education activities sponsored by the following organizations, which are germane to the profession of speech-language pathologists and audiologists, are approved by the board:
(a) American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA);
(b) Montana Speech and Hearing Association (MSHA);
(c) American Academy of Audiologists (AAA);
(d) Academy of Dispensing Audiologists (ADA); and
(e) Montana Audiology Guild (MAG).
(11) Acceptable activities shall include but are not limited to:
(d) in-service programs;
(e) video or online course work; and
(f) correspondence courses accompanied by a study guide, syllabus, bibliography, and/or examination.
(12) The board shall consider continuing education activities as obtained via apprenticeship or plan of action on a case-by-case basis.
(13) All continuing education must be documented with evidence from the instructor or sponsoring organization.
(14) The board, at its discretion, reserves the right to deny credit for continuing education units that do not receive prior approval from the board.
History: 37-1-131, 37-1-319, 37-15-202, MCA; IMP, 37-1-131, 37-1-306, 37-15-102, MCA; NEW, 1982 MAR p. 378, Eff. 2/26/82; AMD, 1983 MAR p. 274, Eff. 4/1/83; AMD, 1985 MAR p. 1611, Eff. 11/1/85; AMD, 1989 MAR p. 2194, Eff. 12/22/89; AMD, 1996 MAR p. 2976, Eff. 11/8/96; AMD, 1998 MAR p. 2165, Eff. 8/13/98; AMD, 1999 MAR p. 408, Eff. 3/12/99; TRANS, from Commerce, 2004 MAR p. 2284; AMD, 2006 MAR p. 1583, Eff. 7/1/06; AMD, 2006 MAR p. 2413, Eff. 10/6/06; AMD, 2008 MAR p. 385, Eff. 2/29/08.