32.9.601 ROOMS AND COMPARTMENTS
(1) A separate starter room equipped with a tight-fitting door should be provided for the propagation and handling of starter cultures. All necessary precautions must be taken to prevent contamination of the room, equipment and the air therein. A filtered air supply should be provided so as to obtain outward movement of air from the room.
(2) The room in which the cheese is manufactured must be of adequate size, and the vats adequately spaced to permit movement around the vats and presses for proper cleaning and satisfactory working conditions. Adequate ventilation must be provided, preferably filtered air. Mold count should be no higher than 10 per cubic foot of air.
(3) If cheese is to be paraffined, a drying room of adequate size must be provided to accommodate the maximum production of cheese during the flush period. Adequate shelving and air circulation must be provided for proper drying. Temperature and humidity control facilities should be provided which will promote the development of a sound, dry rind.
(4) For rind cheese, a separate room or compartment should be provided for paraffining and boxing the cheese. The room must be of adequate size and the temperature maintained near the temperature of the drying room to avoid sweating of the cheese prior to paraffining.
(5) For rindless blocks suitable space must be provided for proper wrapping and boxing of the cheese. The area must be free from dust, condensation, mold, or other conditions which may contaminate the surface of the cheese or contribute to an unsatisfactory packaging of the cheese.
(6) Coolers or curing rooms where cheese is held for curing or storage must be clean and maintained at the proper uniform temperature and humidity to adequately protect the cheese, and minimize the growth of mold. Proper circulation of air must be maintained at all times. The rooms must be free from rodents, insects, and pests. The shelves must be kept clean and dry.
(7) When small packages of cheese are cut and wrapped, separate rooms must be provided for the cleaning and preparation of the bulk cheese and a separate room be provided for the cutting and wrapping operation. The rooms must be well lighted, ventilated, and provided with filtered air. Air
movements must be outward to minimize the entrance of un-filtered air into the cutting and packaging room.
History: Secs. 81-2-102, 81-22-102 MCA; IMP, Secs. 81-2-102, 81-22-102 MCA; Eff. 12/31/72.