37.86.2950 GRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION PAYMENT PROGRAM
(1) Subject to the availability of funding, restrictions imposed by federal law, and the approval of the state plan by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the department will pay, in addition to the Medicaid payments provided for in ARM 37.86.2806, 37.86.2905, 37.86.2907, 37.86.2912, 37.86.2916, 37.86.2918, 37.86.2920, 37.86.2924, 37.86.2925, 37.86.2928, 37.86.2943, and 37.86.2947, a Graduate Medical Education (GME) payment for the purpose of partially funding primary care and psychiatry residency programs for eligible hospitals located in Montana.
(2) Revenue for the GME payment will be generated through a transfer of funds from the Montana University System to the department through an Intergovernmental Transfer contract agreement. The transfer of funds from the University System will occur prior to July 31 of each year.
(3) The department will make an annual payment to each eligible hospital on or before August 31 of each year.
(a) The payment will be calculated based upon the eligible hospital's inpatient Medicaid utilization per year.
(b) If an eligible hospital reports no primary care or psychiatry resident full time equivalents (FTE) participating in the GME program for any given program year or portion thereof, the eligible hospital will not receive payment for those time periods of nonparticipation. FTE totals include residents conducting rural rotations. For purposes of this rule, a rural rotation is a period of one month where a primary care or psychiatry resident is working in a rural location, outside of their primary facility and urbanized area, with the express purpose of the resident being available to provide care to the rural area's patient population.
(4) The GME payment regarding primary care and psychiatry residency programs must be computed, in order, as follows:
(a) divide the total Graduate Medical Education Full Time Equivalent (GMEFTE) count for each eligible facility based upon the most recently as-filed cost report, Medicaid paid claims data, and approved self-attestation form by the Total Graduate Medical Education Full Time Equivalent (TGMEFTE) for all eligible facilities to determine the Hospital Percentage of Graduate Medical Education (HPGME);
GMEFTE = HPGME
(b) divide the Hospital Specific Medicaid Inpatient Days (HSMID) by the total Hospital Specific Inpatient Days (HSID) for eligible hospitals to compute the Facility Specific Medicaid Hospital Day Rate (FSMHDR);
HSMID = FSMHDR
(c) add together the Facility Specific Medicaid Hospital Day Rate (FSMHDR) for all eligible hospitals to determine a Total Medicaid Hospital Day Rate (TMHDR);
FSMHDR + FSMHDR + FSMHDR + FSMHDR = TMHDR
(d) divide each hospital's Facility Specific Medicaid Hospital Day Rate (FSMHDR) by the Total Medicaid Hospital Day Rate (TMHDR) to determine the Facility Specific Medicaid Utilization Rate (FSMUR);
FSMHDR = FSMUR
(e) divide the Hospital Specific Medicaid Inpatient Days (HSMID) by the Total Medicaid Inpatient Days (TMID) of all eligible hospitals to compute the Facility Share of Medicaid Utilization (FSMU);
HSMID = FSMU
(f) add the percentage of the Facility Specific Medicaid Utilization Rate (FSMUR) plus the Facility Share of Medicaid Utilization (FSMU) plus the Hospital Percentage of Graduate Medical Education (HPGME) divided by three to acquire the Average Medicaid Utilization (AMU) specific to each eligible hospital; and
FSMUR + FSMU + HPGME = AMU
(g) allocate funds to each eligible hospital based on the facility specific percentage of Average Medicaid Utilization (AMU) as described in (4)(f).
(5) The GME payment must comply with the following criteria:
(a) if the eligible hospital's cost of inpatient hospital services do not exceed the total Montana Medicaid allowed payments for inpatient care, the eligible hospital will receive a GME payment as calculated in (4);
(b) as-filed cost reports from eligible hospitals and information from the Medicaid paid claims database will be used for calculations;
(c) the GME payment must be for services derived from Medicaid paid claims. The dates of these services must occur within the eligible hospital's fiscal year end, and the hospital's fiscal year must be the year immediately prior to the payment date; and
(d) at the end of the contract period, the department will reconcile the total Medicaid payments including the Medicaid GME payments to ensure that the total of these payments do not exceed the Medicaid Upper Payment Limit (UPL) for the fiscal year.
History: 2-4-201, 53-2-201, 53-6-113, MCA; IMP, 2-4-201, 53-2-201, 53-6-101, 53-6-111, 53-6-113, MCA; NEW, 2011 MAR p. 1391, Eff. 7/29/11; AMD, 2017 MAR p. 2083, Eff. 11/10/17.