4.17.103 APPOINTMENT AND COMPENSATION OF ORGANIC COMMODITY ADVISORY COUNCIL
(1) The director of the Department of Agriculture, who by statute is a member of the Organic Commodity Advisory Council, will appoint seven other members as follows:
(a) one consumer from the public at large;
(b) four certified organic producers;
(c) one certified organic handler representative, who must be an owner or employee of a certified organic handler; and
(d) one certified organic producer or handler representative appointed at large at the discretion of the director of the department.
(2) The director will give preference to nominations from the Organic Commodity Advisory Council, certified organic producers, certified organic handlers, organic food retailers, and organic (product) consumers.
(3) The director will consider the following criteria in the selection of producer members of the advisory council:
(a) experience in certified organic production and/or handling;
(b) represent Montana's diversity of types of organic production;
(c) represent Montana's diversity of sizes of organic operations; and
(d) represent Montana geographically.
(4) Appointed members will serve three-year staggered terms. Appointed members shall not serve more than three consecutive terms.
(5) Compensation of council members will be as provided by 2-15-122, MCA.
(6) The council will conduct annual reviews of certification program activities. This will include a yearly review of a sampling of certification decisions.
(7) The council shall conduct meetings and carry out duties in accordance with procedures in 2-15-122, MCA, and any other procedures recommended by the council and approved by the department.
History: 80-11-601, MCA; IMP, 80-11-601, MCA; NEW, 2003 MAR p. 2848, Eff. 12/25/03; AMD, 2010 MAR p. 2573, Eff. 12/31/10.