(1) "Commercial use" means recreational use of lands owned or managed by the department and related waters for business or financial gain and includes any person, group or organization, including nonprofit organizations and academic institutions that make or attempt to make a profit, vend a service or product, receive money, amortize equipment, or obtain goods or services as compensation from participants in recreational activities occurring on lands or related waters that are owned or managed by the department.
(2) "Competitive event" means any organized, sanctioned, or structured use, event, or activity on lands owned or managed by the department or related waters in which two or more contestants compete, the participants register, enter, or complete an application for the event, and/or a predetermined course or area is designated.
(3) "Organized group activity" means a structured, ordered, consolidated, or scheduled event on, or occupation of, lands owned or managed by the department or related waters that is not commercial or competitive.
(4) "Publicly advertised event or activity" means a competitive event or organized group activity that is advertised to the general public, via newspaper, radio, flier, public newsletter, etc., or the event is posted on a web site accessible from the internet. A local network within an office or organization that is not accessible to the public via the internet would not meet the requirement of publicly advertised.
(5) "Vending" means the sale of goods or services, not from a permanent structure, associated with recreation on the lands owned or managed by the department or related waters, including but not limited to food, beverages, clothing, firewood, souvenirs, photographs or film (video or still) or equipment repairs.