(1) The commissioner shall classify a political committee upon the basis of information including the statement of organization as defined in these rules. The commissioner shall notify a political committee of its classification.
(2) The political committee shall be classified as one of the types of political committee specified in ARM 44.11.202.
(3) The commissioner may reclassify a political committee if the status of that committee should change.
(4) If the commissioner, based upon the information provided on the statement of organization, is unable to classify a political committee, additional information may be requested by the commissioner. If additional information is requested, a political committee shall provide the requested information within 10 business days after receipt of the request.
(5) A political committee, after it has received notice of its classification, may supply additional information and request to be reclassified.
The December 2015 poll of the Montana Legislature on proposed amendment of 44.10.329 (ARM 44.11.204) POLITICAL COMMITTEE, CLASSIFICATION in MAR Notice No. 44-2-207 was as follows: 26 Senators voted the proposed rule is consistent with legislative intent; 20 Senators voted the proposed rule is contrary to legislative intent; 49 Representatives voted the proposed rule is consistent with legislative intent; and 36 Representatives voted the proposed rule is contrary to legislative intent.