Prev Next

24.16.7521    FILING A CLAIM

(1) Wage claims may be filed whenever an employee has not received wages that are due. These wages can be, but are not limited to, vacation pay, overtime pay, or regular wages.

(2) A claim may be filed by:

(a) the employee;

(b) the estate of an employee; or

(c) an authorized representative of the commissioner, on behalf of an employee or group of employees.

(3) A claim must be reduced to writing on the form furnished by the commissioner and signed by the person making the claim.

(4) Wage claim forms can be obtained from the Labor Standards Bureau, Employment Relations Division, Department of Labor and Industry, either in person, by telephone, online, or by mail. The street address of the Labor Standards Bureau is 1805 Prospect Ave, Helena, Montana. The mailing address is P.O. Box 8011, Helena, Montana 59604. The telephone number is (406) 444-6543. The web address is http://erd.dli.mt.gov/labor-standards/wage-and-hour-payment-act/filing-a-wage-claim.

(5) Field investigations commenced by the commissioner need not be on the form referenced above.


History: 39-3-202, 39-3-403, MCA; IMP, 39-3-211, 39-3-407, MCA; NEW, 1994 MAR p. 1152, Eff. 5/1/94; AMD, 2018 MAR p. 439, Eff. 2/24/18.

Home  |   Search  |   About Us  |   Contact Us  |   Help  |   Disclaimer  |   Privacy & Security