23.13.212 INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
(1) Instructor certificates are not discipline-specific and POST may issue an instructor certificate to any public safety officer who meets the qualifications in these rules.
(2) A public safety officer providing POST approved training as defined in these rules must be certified by the council as an instructor.
(3) To qualify as an instructor, the officer shall apply to the council, on a form approved by the council, and shall meet the following requirements:
(a) two years of public safety experience;
(b) an active POST basic certificate in the officer's current discipline;
(c) an endorsement from the applicant's agency head; and
(d) successful completion of a POST-approved instructor development course. Effective October 28, 2017, all instructor development courses must be a minimum of 40 hours in length and must include a minimum of the following:
(i) 12 hours of curriculum design;
(ii) 8 hours of adult learning theories;
(iii) 8 hours of foundation skills for trainers;
(iv) 8 hours of training preparation and delivery; and
(v) 4 hours of context of training.
(4) Instructor certificates in any discipline issued prior to October 28, 2017 and any instructor certificate issued after October 28, 2017, may be renewed every four years.
(5) The council or the director may deny applications for instructor certification for failure to satisfy the required qualifications. The council or the director may recall, suspend, or revoke instructor certificates at any time for good cause to ensure the quality of the training programs.
(6) Officers who believe they are eligible for any instructor certificate must submit a completed application, with agency administrator approval, to the director. Applications are available from POST staff or on the POST web site.
(a) The director will then review the application and approve or deny the certification, unless the director determines, as a matter of discretion, that the council's review is necessary due to extenuating circumstances.
(b) Upon approval by the director the certificate becomes valid unless the council takes further action.
History: 2-15-2029, MCA; IMP, 2-15-2029, 44-4-403, MCA; NEW, 2008 MAR p. 1587, Eff. 8/1/08; AMD & TRANS, from 23.13.401, 2014 MAR p. 2951, Eff. 12/12/14; AMD, 2017 MAR p. 1953, Eff. 10/28/17; AMD, 2018 MAR p. 2518, Eff. 12/22/18.