24.174.1303 REMOTE TELEPHARMACY DISPENSING MACHINE SITES
(1) Remote telepharmacy dispensing machine sites contain prescription inventory which is secured in an automated dispensing device connected to the central processing unit at the parent pharmacy.
(2) A site cannot be licensed as a remote telepharmacy dispensing machine site if it is located within a ten mile radius of an existing pharmacy.
(3) A pharmacist must approve all outpatient prescriptions before they are dispensed, unless the prescription is directly dispensed by a person authorized to prescribe.
(4) All filled prescriptions must have a label that meets the requirements of ARM 24.174.511 attached to the final drug container.
(5) A licensed pharmacist at the parent site shall perform counseling and professional consultation via audio and video link as required by ARM 24.174.903, unless the prescription is directly dispensed by a person authorized to prescribe.
(6) Registered technicians involved in stocking and removal of prescription medications under this rule must have at least 80 hours of pretraining in bar coding technology. All requirements of ARM 24.174.701 through 24.174.714 will apply, excluding the technician certification requirement of ARM 24.174.702.
(7) Policies and procedures of the parent pharmacy and the remote telepharmacy dispensing machine site must address all aspects of the telepharmacy operation, including stocking procedures and removal of outdated prescription medications.
(8) The pharmacist at the parent pharmacy shall perform an ongoing analysis of incident reports and outcomes, with appropriate corrective action taken when necessary to ensure patient safety.
(9) The pharmacist-in-charge of the parent pharmacy or that person's designee shall conduct and complete monthly inspections of the remote telepharmacy dispensing machine site. Inspection criteria must be included in the policies and procedures for the site. The inspection reports must be available for review at the next board inspection.
(10) Remote telepharmacy dispensing machine sites must be licensed with the board by November 30 of each year, and will be subject to random inspection by board inspectors.
(11) This rule does not apply to institutional satellite pharmacies as defined in ARM 24.174.301.
History: 37-7-201, MCA; IMP, 37-7-101, 37-7-201, 37-7-321, MCA; NEW, 2006 MAR p. 1615, Eff. 6/23/06.