As used in this subchapter, the following definitions apply, except where the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) "Board" means the state Board of Land Commissioners.
(2) "Bureau" means the Real Estate Management Bureau of the Trust Lands Management Division of the Department of Natural Resources and Conservation.
(3) "Cluster development" means a subdivision of a tract with building lots concentrated on a portion of the tract and the remainder conserved for open space.
(4) "Commercial" means the operation by any for-profit entity of any public parking lot, restaurant, bar, hotel, motel, office space, retail store or sales outlet, storage space, gas station, convenience store, shopping center, warehouse, hospitality enterprise, or concentrated recreational use, multifamily residential use, or other similar uses.
(5) "Conservation" means a primary land use for open space, preservation of habitat, natural areas, parks, or related public purposes, secured through dedication, lease, license, easement, deed restriction, or other legal instrument consistent with 77-1-203, MCA, for multiple use management.
(6) "Conservation entity" means a public entity or private organization qualified per Title 76, chapter 6, MCA, to acquire or designate interests and rights in real property to provide or preserve open space.
(7) "Department" means the Department of Natural Resources and Conservation.
(8) "Developed" means when a building permit, septic permit, or a permit to connect to a public sewer system, whichever comes first, has been issued for 25 percent or more of the commercial, industrial, or residential lots of a subdivided tract. Developed also means a permit has been issued for the construction of a private sewer system.
(9) "Division" means the Trust Land Management Division of the department.
(10) "Easement" means land use authorization as defined in 77-2-101, MCA.
(11) "Entitlement" means an approval or permit obtained from a local government that provides a right to annex, zone, or subdivide a tract of land.
(12) "Environmental review" means a written document as defined in 75-1-220(4), MCA.
(13) "Growth policy" means a document adopted under Title 76, chapter 1, part 6, MCA.
(14) "Industrial" means a land use that includes manufacturing, wholesaling, warehousing, utilities, heavy transportation, sanitary landfills, sewage treatment facilities, wind farms, feedlots, grain storage bins, irrigation facilities, reclamation projects, electrical substations, intermodal shipping facilities, and other uses.
(15) "Isolated tract or land" means any state land not possessing a legal right of access by the public, as provided in 77-2-361(1), MCA.
(16) "Joint venture" means a partnership between the department and another entity or entities to undertake a development project, each contributing equity and sharing in the revenues, expenses, and control of the project.
(17) "Land classification" means categorizing land according to its principal value, as defined in 77-1-401, MCA.
(18) "Lease" means a contract by which the board conveys a limited property interest in state lands for a term of years, for a specified rental, and for a use for which the land is classified.
(19) "License" means a contract by which the department conveys a limited property interest in state lands for a specific term and fee, and for a use other than that for which the land is classified.
(20) "MEPA" means The Montana Environmental Policy Act, Title 75, chapter 1, parts 1 through 3, MCA.
(21) "Other (land)" means a land classification that encompasses residential, commercial, industrial, and conservation uses.
(22) "Public entity" means a federal agency, state agency, a political subdivision of the state including a county, city, town, municipal corporation, a school district or other special district, a joint agreement entity, a public authority, or any other public body of this or other state.
(23) "Public facility" means a building or area operated by a public entity.
(24) "Purchase of development rights" means acquiring one or more of the fee-simple interests associated with a parcel of land, such as the commercial or residential development rights.
(25) "Rate of return" means the ratio of income received from a project relative to the value of the asset or equity contribution, expressed as a percentage.
(26) "Real estate activities" means the following:
(a) land sales and land banking;
(b) land exchanges;
(c) issuance of easements;
(d) issuance of leases;
(e) issuance of land use licenses;
(f) marketing of state trust lands proposed for lease, license, or easement, sale, or exchange;
(g) requests for proposals;
(h) planning and design;
(i) surveying and platting;
(j) development of entitlements;
(k) extension of services and infrastructure;
(l) contracting for services;
(m) environmental review; and
(n) minor repairs, operation or maintenance of existing equipment, improvements, or facilities.
(27) "Real Estate Management Plan (plan)" means the PEIS for real estate for the department and the associated Record of Decision (ROD) approved July 18, 2005.
(28) "Real estate project" means a proposal initiated by the bureau to develop state trust land for a commercial, industrial, residential, or conservation use, or a public facility where no such use existed previously, when one or more of the following are required by a local government:
(a) subdivision approval;
(b) annexation; or
(c) development or amendment of a growth policy or neighborhood plan. Real estate project also means the development of entitlements on state trust lands proposed for sale or exchange.
(29) "Receiving area" means land that receives additional development rights from land within a sending area. This is a component of a program providing for the transfer of development rights.
(30) "Residential" means single family dwellings, duplexes, condominiums, townhouses, cabins, associated ancillary uses, or other types of residential uses.
(31) "Rural" means a tract that does not meet the criteria for an urban tract.
(32) "Sending area" means land that provides additional development rights to other land within a receiving area. This is a component of a program providing for the transfer of development rights.
(33) "Subdivision" means a division of land defined by Title 76, MCA.
(34) "Subdivision review" means a city, town, or county governing body evaluating a subdivision proposal for compliance with the jurisdiction's subdivision regulations.
(35) "Threshold" means a predefined number of state trust land acres to be developed for commercial, industrial, or residential uses that, if met before July 18, 2025, may require a review of the programmatic plan.
(36) "Tract" means a parcel of state trust land that can be identified by legal description, independent of any other parcel of land, using documents on file in the records of the county clerk and recorder's office or in the department's records.
(37) "Transfer of development rights" means separating some or all of the development rights from a parcel of land in a "sending area" and transferring those rights to a parcel in a "receiving area," where additional development density is allowed.
(38) "Urban" means a tract meeting one or more of the following criteria:
(a) within the boundaries of an incorporated city or town;
(b) within 4.5 miles of the boundaries of an incorporated city or town;
(c) within a public sewer or water district; or
(d) within one mile of the boundaries of a public sewer or water district. An entire tract of state trust land is urban if any portion of the tract falls within an area described in (38)(a) through (d).